|Homemade grahams and fixin's for next level s'mores|
Adapted from Martha Stewart Living 2012
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for surface
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- As Needed - 1 1/2 teaspoon half & half (adjust as needed to make a workable dough)
- Whisk together flours, wheat germ, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- Beat together butter, sugar, and honey with a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture; beat until combined.
- Turn out dough onto a floured surface, and divide in half. Roll out each dough half to 1/8-inch thickness, and refrigerate until firm, about 10 minutes. (If you find you can't roll out the dough, work in the half & half as needed). Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut out squares with a 3-inch fluted square cutter if you have it - or just eyeball it. Cut a star out of the center of half the cookies using a 1 1/2-inch star cutter or get creative with any shape. Reroll scraps once, and repeat.
- Place squares 1 inch apart on parchment-lined baking sheets, keeping cookies with cutouts together. Refrigerate until very firm, about 15 minutes.
- Bake cookies until dark brown, 14 to 16 minutes, rotating halfway through (star cookies take about 1 minute less). Let cool on sheets 10 minutes. Cookies can be stored in an airtight container up to 2 days.
|My stars weren't perfect - but I didn't hear any complaints!|
|Graham crackers, sparklers and my little brother devouring a s'more - I think he fell in love.|