Tuesday, June 26, 2012

What the Kale!?!



It seems as though there is a kale craze running rampant. I'm happy to report I have been on the bandwagon for months now! Not only is kale delicious it is also nutritious - a perfect item for a blog devoted to tasty healthy things. I have two favorite recipes for kale: Kale Chips and Kale with Cannellini Beans and Bacon. The first is simple - the second is not. Today, we are going with simple. Let me start by setting your expectations at a reasonable level. Kale chips are in no way like a potato chip. Please don't be fooled by the many kale enthusiasts desperate for you to try kale chips with attempts at luring you in with false claims comparing kale to a potato. Yes, they are light crunchy seasoned bits of goodness but they do not have the taste or texture of a potato chip. I repeat: not a potato chip.

Now that expectations are set - on to the easiest recipe you will ever find! I make kale chips at least once a week...sometimes twice a week. Every time both cookie sheets of kale chips are gone within an hour (I have an abundance of snackers in my house). It is important to note the type of kale used - the curly kale  found in most grocery stores works much better than Lacinato "Dinosaur" kale often found at local farmers markets - I have a sweet cousin that can attest to this.

Kale Chips
Adapted from several sites

1 bunch kale
1 tablespoon olive oil
Sea salt, to taste
**If you want a little kick add a dash of Cayenne Pepper, Garlic Salt or Paprika depending on your preference

Preheat oven to 300°F. Rinse and dry kale. Remove center ribs and stems. Cut or tear into pieces. Toss with olive oil in a bowl then sprinkle with salt. Arrange leaves in a single layer on two baking sheets. Bake for 20 minutes, or until crisp. Voila! Serve immediately...or not. They are great either way!

Some photos for reference:

Before (top) and After (bottom)
Mmmmm crispy goodness!

The final product


3 comments:

  1. I would prefer you come make them for me! But perhaps I'll try it out this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do grow on you. Definitely NOT tater chips! Nice job Tel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made them and they are delightful!

    ReplyDelete