Thursday, July 28, 2011

Auntie M's Tater Salad

By no stretch of the imagination can this delicious potato salad be considered "healthy". I'd like to think that it can be healthy...but the closest I can get is that it is a healthy portion of nostalgia. I suppose it is only nostalgic to me, so you are on your own in justifying any health benefit. HOWEVER, if you are looking for something tasty you have hit the jackpot.


A big bowl of deliciousness.

 My Aunt Mel has been making this potato salad since I can remember - she makes it better than anyone. It could win a blue ribbon at the state fair if they had such a contest. It reminds me of summer, it reminds me of home, it reminds of when I was 7 and begged her to omit the onions (and because she loved me she would make a smaller bowl, onion free). On occasion, when I am feeling homesick, I get some taters boiling and try my best to replicate Mels recipe.


I would be happy to share this recipe with you if I could but I suppose there isn't really a recipe at all. This potato salad is made by combining ingredients in no measurable amount. It depends on the size and texture of the potatoes...when it looks right, it is done. I can provide an ingredients list should you want to give it a go: Mayo, taters, Mayo, pickles, Mayo, eggs, Mayo, mustard, vinegar and seasonings (salt, pepper, paprika). Did I mention Mayo? I've watched her use a whole jar before. Not kidding.

Happy Eating!

1 comment: