Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Cherry Amaretto Drop Cookies

Several weeks ago I invented a new recipe: Cherry Amaretto Drop Cookies. I can't take full credit for inventing the recipe per-se, rather I simply reconstructed an old recipe for Polka Dot Cookies (PDC) my mom and I make at Christmas. As far as I know, she and I may be the only people that like the PDC's, but nevertheless, we keep making them (and eating them). The PDC recipe calls for red and green maraschino cherries, walnuts and chocolate chips -- pretty fancy. However, with cherry season in full swing I decided to give the PDC recipe a classy little makeover. 

It all started by soaking some beautiful bing cherries in Amaretto <<Drool >>.  The end result was fab! I added chocolate chips to the last dozen for some variety. These tasty cookies have a cake or biscuit texture, they are not overly sweet. I recommend them to anyone looking to make good use of summer sweet cherries!



Cherry Amaretto Drop Cookies

Ingredients:
1 C. Margarine
1/2 C. Sugar
1/2 C. Brown Sugar
2 Eggs slightly beaten
2 tsp. Vanilla
4 C. Flour
1/2 tsp. Baking soda
2 tsp. Baking powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 C. Milk
1 C. Bing Cherries, halved
1/3 C. Amaretto

Combine cherries and amaretto in bowl, soak overnight. Mix dry ingredients in medium bowl. Mix liquids, except milk, in large bowl. Add dry ingredients to liquids alternating with addition of the milk.

Drain cherries of excess liquid. Fold into cookie dough.



Drop big teaspoons of batter onto greased cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes at 375 degrees.



ENJOY!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds and looks delicious and I love that you cut out the walnuts from the original recipe (though the chocolate chips could've stayed!). <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed these mucho! (Especially the ones with chocolate, but who is shocked?)

    ReplyDelete